Site Plans

Site plans are needed for:

  • New Building Construction
  • Additions to Buildings
  • Decks or Porches (enclosed or unenclosed)
  • Accessory Buildings (garages, sheds, etc) exceeding 120 SF
  • Carports, Canopies, or building overhangs exceeding 2'
  • Fences or walls exceeding 4'
  • Signage (freestanding signs require site pan, wall signs require wall diagram)
  • Parking and vehicular use areas for commercial and multi-family developement

If a project does not require a building permit, then our office does not require a site plan.  However, just because no building permit or site plan is required does not mean that there are no zoning requirements that a project must meet.  For example, a 10’ x 12’ shed does not require a building permit or a site plan, however the shed must meet proper setback requirements, cannot be located in an easement or front yard, and total size of all accessory structures cannot exceed the maximum as provided by the Zoning Ordinance.  Or for example, a 4’ fence does not require a building permit or a site plan, however no solid fence can be located in a required triangle of visibility as provided by the Zoning Ordinance.  Our office will review a site plan for a property owner regardless of if a building permit is required.

Also, a change in use, regardless if any additions or modifications are involved, may require a site plan to ensure all Zoning Ordinance requirements are met, such as minimum lot size, setbacks, adequate parking, permitted use in district or change in non-conforming status.  A building used for one use could be in compliance with all requirements or be non-conforming, but a different use of the same building may require a larger lot size, larger setbacks, or more parking stalls. 

The primary items that do not require a site plan include private sidewalks, patios, swimming pools, swing sets/playground equipment, and flagpoles.  Also driveways for one or two family residences do not require a site plan.  If you have any questions, please contact our office at (319)-291-4366